- Different types of egg (fried, hard boiled, soft boiled, poached)
- Pork chops
- Bleach the toilet
- Window clean
- Unclog a toilet
- Unblock shower drain
3) Drive (this is pretty self explanatory!)
4) Shop for groceries
- Ready meals
- Drinks (juice/squash etc)
- Washing up liquid
- Dishwasher rinse aid
- Dishwasher tablets
4) Talk with someone of any age. Someone of twenty should be able to hold a conversation with someone regardless of age.
5) Argue kindly. This seems a bit of a contradiction- but what I mean by it is this: people should be able to argue their point/opinion without shouting/ swearing or degrading or belittling others. You should be able to say “Okay john, you might think that and that’s fine but I disagree because…”
6) Approach a stranger. I know. We’re taught while we’re young to not talk to strangers. I think this is wrong, we should be taught that there are some people we can approach. A twenty year old should feel comfortable to approach the little old lady coming the other way on the street to ask for directions. However they should also be comfortable to approach the man in a hoodie sitting on the bench to ask where the nearest bathroom is. I know that you cannot talk to everyone, and I know that you have no idea who some people are. But you have to use some common sense, and also be aware of your surroundings and safety.
7) Know how to apologise. If you are in the wrong about something, or you hurt someone’s feelings. A twenty something should know how to say “I’m sorry” and mean it.
8) Know when to hold your tongue. Know when to pick your battles. There are some times when it’s just not worth making a comment. Even if you know you’re right about something, it doesn’t matter if people don’t agree on this.
9) Write a cover letter. This seems pretty straightforward. However most twenty year olds have been in school, then college and then university. Sure they might have had to write a cover letter for the university they applied to, but do they know how to write one for a job? Do they know the do’s and dont’s? The in’s and out’s? A twenty year old should know how to do this.
10) Know how to be alone. I know so many people my age who are never single. It’s almost as though they don’t know how to be single. Ive been single for about three years now. Sure it can get lonely, and sure sometimes I wish I had someone to share special memories with, and a New Years kiss, that kind of thing. But I know how to be single. Just this year, as you may well know, I went travelling around Australia by myself. Had I been in a relationship, I couldn’t have done that. Twenty year olds should know how to be on their own, and make the most of it.
11) Make a great cup of tea or coffee. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been round a friends and they’ve made me this weak, barely any sugar, milky awful tea. I like my tea not too strong but it needs to actually taste of tea, with one sugar (or three sweeteners if you have sweeteners -which i do) and a little milk. I don’t want it to burn my mouth but I also don’t want it cold either. Coffee is basically the same. Know how to make a decent hot drink.
So there it is. 11 things every twenty year old should know what to do. In my opinion.
Is there anything you think I should add to this list? Or anything you don’t agree with? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading!